Do you think your utilitiy bills are too high? Is your home chilly in the winter? Are your heating and cooling costs too high? TRIP can help you find the energy efficiency program that’s right for your home or apartment. Taking control of your energy use will save you money and make your home more comfortable year-round.
The Home Performance with ENERGY STAR program offered by the New York State Energy Research and Development Authority (NYSERDA) is a comprehensive, whole-house approach to improving energy efficiency and home comfort while saving money. Energy assessments and upgrades are conducted by a participating Home Performance contractor accredited by the Building Performance Institute (BPI). Income-qualified homeowners are eligible for additional incentives to make energy improvements.
There are six simple steps to make your energy efficient upgrades happen:
1. Get assessed. Have a comprehensive home energy assessment performed by a Home Performance with ENERGY STAR contractor. In addition to measuring your home’s energy performance, your Home Performance contractor will perform important health and safety tests to ensure major combustion appliances (furnace, boiler, water heater, stove) are operating properly. For most New Yorkers, the home assessment is free. Request an assessment form and find a participating BPI-accredited Home Performance contractor by visiting www.GreenCapitalRegion.org.
2. Make a plan. Your contractor will review the results of the comprehensive home energy assessment with you, and then work with you to select cost-effective energy upgrades that match your budget and goals.
3. Paying for the work. If you don’t have the cash on hand to make the improvements, NYSERDA offers low-interest loans and assisted subsidies to help you pay for work. You can now finance energy efficient upgrades with low interest payments conveniently built into your existing utility bill. Offset your payments with the savings you earn.
4. Get approved. Receive loan status notification and return the signed loan documents.
5. Upgrade. Have a Home Performance with ENERGY STAR contractor implement the upgrades described in your Scope of Work. NYSERDA may inspect the work to verify its quality.
6. Test-out and earn incentives. When your energy upgrades are finished, your contractor will repeat the test conducted during the initial assessment. Upon test-out and acceptance of work you and your contractor will sign a Certificate of Completion, which is submitted to NYSERDA. Your lender will then make payment to your contractor. You can also enjoy other incentives like 10 percent cash back on eligible upgrades.
TRIP staff can help you choose which NYSERDA energy efficiency program is right for you and guide you through the process. Call us at (518) 690-0020.
Keep your hard-earned energy dollars! Visit www.GreenCapitalRegion.org to get started.